A-Team Match Report v Sutton Courtenay Res

Faringdon Town A v Sutton Courtenay Res – 28th January 2017

The Don entered this game on the back of a good win and with a full squad of 16.

Sutton Courtenay arrived with only ten men and the referee reduced that to 9 before kick-off. One player had an earring and although he said he would tape it up and both teams encouraging the ref to let him play it fell on deaf ears.

The Don dominated early possession and after ten minutes took the lead James Tyler squared to Jack Green who struck from just inside the box the keeper blocked his shot but the ball fell kindly to Martin Key who slid home from 6 yards. It could have been two shortly after when a cross from Nick Wojcik found James who’s shot was deflected over the bar.

The man with the earring entered the field of play with a heavily bandaged head hiding his earring. His impact was instant as he robbed Woj and gave Lee Ruddle in the Don goal no chance from 35yrds. Straight from kick off Keysie slid in Jack but he was just beaten to the ball by the advancing keeper. But the Don were soon back in the lead. Macaulay Luckett-Groves cut in from the left his cross was meet by James who made no mistake. Courtenay who spent most of the half defending looked dangerous on the break. They gained a free-kick on the edge of the box a fierce drive was well tipped over by Rudds. The Don scored their third after 30 mins when Keysie got on the end of Jacks cross and finished from close range. It looked like the Don would go in 3-1 up but just before half time the A’s decided to gift Courtenay another goal. The Dons defences marking was non-existent a simple ball cut out three defenders leaving Rudds exposed and it was 3-2. There was just time for a scare as Courtenay had a goal ruled out for off side.

A change of shape did not help at all in the second half. Although the Don had all the territory and possession they huffed and puffed but never really had any threat up top. J.J. hand a good run into the box going past several players before his momentum took him out of play a couple of half chances were struck straight at the keeper. We just kept gifting Courtenay goals. The next one came on   when a short back pass was eagerly gobbled up and the scores were level. Soon after we were 4-3 down. A long forward pass should have been cut out easily but was completely missed and again Rudds had no chance as the forward raced through. The Don pushed and pushed a few more half-chances were either hit over or straight at the keeper. With time running out James broke down the left and somehow managed to lift the ball over the keeper just as it looked to be going over it just dropped inside the post for 4-4. The one high spot of the game was James Tyler’s performance. He moved in to central midfield and with seconds left after a good run he crossed for Keysie who was 5 yards out with an open goal unfortunately he meet the ball as it bounced and it sailed over. This just about summed up our day.

Faringdon Town A 4 – 4 Sutton Courtney 28th January

To be fair the Courtenay lads really put in a good shift considering they were a man down. 2 points dropped hopefully the Dons defence has now given all their belated Christmas present away now.