Match Report – Town v Brimscombe & Thrupp

Town Out But Not Down!!

Town’s first competitive Uhlsport Hellenic League fixture of the season, saw Premier Division side Brimscombe & Thrupp the visitors to Tucker Park in the Bluefin Sport Challenge Cup on Saturday.

Brimscombe lost out on the Premier Division championship and promotion by one point last season and Town knew they would have a mountain to climb to spring a surprise, two leagues lower.

The squad was hampered by unavailability, which meant a senior debut for 20 year old Frankie Goodwin between the sticks, Matt Woods made his debut for the club at sweeper and without a recognised centre forward, Andy Goodchild wore the number nine instead of his normal centre half position.

The visitors kicked up the Tucker Park slope towards the Folly View Road End and immediately made their intentions known when a move down the right, saw the ball crossed and finished at the near post to make Town’s chances of gaining a result even harder.

To be fair to Town over the next 20 minutes they grew into the match and neither side created a clear cut chance, however Town were winning 4-0 on corners!! Then with our 5th corner our first chances materialised as panic set into the away back line who failed to clear and but for some last ditch defending and the foot of the post, Town could have drawn level.

Brimscombe were always in command and Town were playing a very defensive formation to try and frustrate. With the half coming to a close, Goodwin pulled off a fantastic fingertip save on 42 minutes, however shortly after he was helpless as the half came to close as an in-swinging cross from the left was put home from 6 yards and Town went into the break 2-0 down.

Town knew they would have to work doubly harder in the second period and with Brimscombe three games into their competitive season, their fitness would be at a higher peak than our own. Town’s chances were hampered further on 48 minutes as new signing Woods rolled his ankle and had to be assisted from the field, with Goodchild reverting back to centre half and Jason Evans going up top.

Town were withstanding waves of pressure and on one rare journey into the visitors half, Town managed to grab a goal back. Ryan Bradbury chased down a visiting defender, stole the ball and managed to place the ball home on the angle under the advancing keeper for 2-1. The visitors were majorly upset and felt their number 10 had been fouled by Bradbury, but the goal stood and Town were back in the game on 56 minutes.

However, our hopes were dashed in a five-minute spell on the hour where they scored three goals to put the game to bed. Town didn’t help their chances by making what the management thought were simple mistakes and when playing Premier sides you will get punished. Town’s mood had now sunk and the healthy B&T following were in good voice as the goals went in.

Two further goals were scored as the visitor’s introduced players from their bench and the 7-1 final scoreline was hard for the Town squad to take.

Much credit must go to the B&T players, management and supporters who showed us massive respect throughout their time with us, including staying in the bar until after 7.00pm and leaving their technical areas and changing rooms spotlessly clean.

Final Score: Town 1 – 7 Brimscombe & Thrupp

Town will hope to take the good points from the match into the local derby on Friday nights as we travel to Shrivenham Development for a 7.45pm kick off. Town hope a large number of ‘The Don’ supporters who came to Tucker Park on Saturday will continue to support the lads, with admission at Barrington Park by £3.00 and 1.00 for concessions. 

Town Team: F Goodwin, A Lynham (67 M Morris), A Sly, J Vaughan, J Forth(c), L Davenport, M Pill, M Woods (48 J Evans)C Wills (67 K Muhid), R Bradbury, A Goodchild. Subs Not Used: W Brigido, O Baker