Match Report – Faringdon Town v Wantage Town Development

After the tough midweek fixture against Thatcham Development, Town faced an unbeaten Wantage. We were keen to give a good account of ourselves and cause an upset.

We started well, looked solid and compact across midfield and defence and looked sharp on the break. We were competing for every ball and looked organised. We had a great chance to take the lead when captain Pilly closed down the centre back and pinched the ball, he was through one on one with the keeper and squared it to Dan Hoskins who should have taken it first time with his left foot to tap into an open net but he tried bringing it onto his right this gave Wantage chance to get back and block.

Town were well matched against Wantage at this point and were looking sharp every time we broke forwards. We did take the lead after 35 minutes, Pilly playing a ball into Adam Sly after we had pinched it again. Sly showed great awareness to see the keeper off his line and drove the ball at goal from a good 35 yards over the keepers head and into the net. Great goal and what we deserved. Before halftime Sly had another good effort that was going in the bottom corner but the keeper made a smart save.


We spoke about Wantage coming out second half would be well fired up and we needed to be ready for them but continue doing what we had been. They did come out strongly and we dug deep, a great block by Mike Van De Mortel saving a certain goal and a fantastic save by Ryan Curtis in the opening 10 minutes.

Town were under pressure but every player doing their jobs and concentrating 110%. We were looking to catch Wantage on the break and when Dan Hoskins went through after the ref overruled his linesman was half expecting us to go 2-0, unfortunately, he didn’t find the back of the net. Gutted for him as he worked himself into the ground the whole match.

Our defence and midfield were camped in our own half but we still looked comfortable, Ryan Curtis making some smart saves and smothering a few efforts. Adam sly was a pain for Wantage all game and managed to pinch the ball off a centre back with the resulting effort going wide, he then had another break where his cross didn’t find a faringdon player but we were still going forwards.

However, on 85 minutes Wantage got their equaliser, one of the only times our midfield was 2-yards off their man. The Wantage forward had dropped into midfield to pick the ball up and unleashed a great effort top corner from 25 yards. Really good shot 1-1. After working harder than ever and 5 minutes to go this knocked the stuffing out of us, forgive me my notes weren’t much good at this point and it became abit of a blur as Wantage then managed to get a second and a third!! Final whistle coming and town somehow losing the game 3-1!

Overall disappointed with the final score but over the moon with what the lads did for 85 minutes. Our best performance by far after 3 tough games against probably the top two sides in the league. We were so close to causing the upset but perhaps could of should of done something different with ten minutes to go. It wasn’t through a lack of effort as we couldn’t have given any more. We need to learn from this experience and quickly. We are more than capable to compete with these top sides but football is a game of 90+ minutes not 85 or 60! Huge positives obviously but similar negatives to how we have started the season. The lads know we are close and really felt for them after. Keep those heads up gents. We are improving all the time. Great effort

Final Score: Faringdon Town 1-3 Wantage Town Development

MoM: Again plenty to choose from which is ideal, but Will Bazen. He’s had his confidence knocked in recent games, but this game he was on it from the first whistle, gave everything, won everything and was a machine in the centre of the pitch for us.

Next Match: 13/10/18 – Home v Brimscombe & Thrupp Res