Match Report: Faringdon Town v Fairford Town Reserves

It was another home fixture for Town this weekend, with Fairford Town Reserves the visitors to Tucker Park in this latest uhlsport Hellenic Division Two West fixture.

In the opening stages, both sides made attempts on goal. It was Town first with 17-year-old Sam Saunders who was making his full Town debut, overlapping Jack Green on the left and his ball across the goal evaded the Town frontline. From the goal kick, Fairford attacking the Playground End, saw a looping effort just miss the target.

Fairford gained momentum and over the next 15 minutes had three attempts on goal, but none of them troubled Town keeper Connor Guinness-Smith. The breakthrough happened on 27 minutes when Saunders on the edge of the Fairford penalty area, hit a well-struck left-foot shot, taking a slight deflection, which was enough to lift the ball over the diving keeper, 1-0 Town. Saunders wasn’t finished there though!

Four minutes later and Town doubled their lead when a cross from the right, found its way to Saunders 25 yards from goal and on the volley, he hit the sweetest of left foot strikes to give the keeper no chance. Welcome to Faringdon Town, Sam Saunders! As the half came to a close, Fairford did push Town back and had a shout for a penalty, but it was not to be and the correct decision from the match official.

Town started the second half brightly and Saunders had the first shot on goal of the half, as he hit a thunderous strike on the left, which was well saved by the Fairford keeper, but Ash Piotrowski was offside trying to put in the rebound.

The visitors continued to probe and push for a way back into the game, but the Town squad stood firm and on the hour, the game was put to bed. A great ball from ‘rotund’ right-back Adam Rudman, found the diagonal run of left-winger Sean Creeley. With the keeper coming to meet the ball out of his area, Creeley lofted the ball high and into the net to spark celebrations from the Town players, bench and supporters.

Town introduced their three substitutes to give fresh impetus and Creeley could have made it four, had the keeper not made a fine save with his feet. Guinness-Smith managed to pull off a late save and was also brave towards the end of the game, putting his body on the line, when feet were flying.

Overall, this was probably Town’s most complete 90 minutes of the season.

The introduction of new signings has given the squad a good depth and we move onto next weekend trip to Kintbury Rangers, hoping to keep the momentum going.

Final Score: Faringdon Town 3-0 Fairford Town Reserves

Team: C Guinness-Smith, A Rudman, A Sly, J Vaughan (sub 63 W Bazen), J Forth(c), L Davenport (sub 74 M Morris), M Pill, J Green (sub 59 A Lynham), A Piotrowski, S Creeley