Match Report – Faringdon Town v Abingdon United Dev’

Apologies for recent weeks match reports, the game against Brimscombe was abandoned after 60 minutes due to a real bad injury to Elliott Day. The next game was a cup game away to Wantage where Town was the better side for first 30 minutes but came out the game losing 5-0. Last week Town’s game was called off due to Abingdon Town not being able to field a team.

Our game Saturday was a brilliant one, we faced an unbeaten Abingdon United side that topped the table. We started brightly and looked good, both sides cancelling each other out in the opening exchanges. We had good shape and discipline and were working hard for each other. With us going uphill against the wind we battled hard. We faced a couple of corners that we defended well when we had a chance we did get the ball down and tried playing.
Town created a great chance on 30 mins that should have been given as a goal, some great one-touch football between Captain Matthew Pill and Tommy James. They cut the Abingdon defence open, Pilly coming inside onto his left foot and hit a great effort that hit the underside of the bar and came diagonally down over the line and back out, with the supporters in line with it celebrating and the town lads celebrating the red didn’t give it! A blatant goal but not given.

5 minutes later town fell behind, a throw-in over our defenders head bought a 50/50 challenge with our keeper that came off second best, the ball rolling in and we found ourselves behind when we should have been in front. Perhaps this 50/50 was a foul on the keeper. Town 1-0 down.

We continued to work hard and looked good but the half-time whistle and we went in 1 down.

We spoke at the break and knew we were still in the game after playing the better football against the wind. The lads were all still smiling and buoyant about our chances and knew the next goal was vital.

Town went out second half and took over from where we left off. We were strong in the tackle, good on the ball and were looking good on the break. With no real chances created by either side, we knew we had to change things and go for it. A couple of tactical changes and substitutions meant we were all out going for it. We really did start putting Abingdon under pressure and this finally paid off. A great cross by Tommy James found substitute Jason Evans who headed in from the penalty spot. A great header after being on the pitch for 5 minutes, his celebration dedicated to his newborn baby. 1-1

With 10 minutes to go town didn’t hold back and continued to go for the win. No more chances created and the 90 minutes over town conceded a corner, with the lads spent we didn’t get back quickly enough to stop the short corner, the ball was played inside to the left back on the corner of the 18yard box who hit his shot low and hard through ten players into the back of the net! 2-1.

Town were devastated while Abingdon celebrated. Literally 30 seconds later the final whistle went.

Overall devastated not to get at least the point we deserved. The lads showed great character and discipline to keep themselves in the game and to get back to 1-1.As far as I’m concerned we were the better side for the majority of the game against an unbeaten top of the league side. It shows we are more than capable of competing with these sides. If Pilly’s goal is given it completely changes the game, it just seems to be our luck at the moment, would be nice for Lady Luck to give us something soon! We are all still upbeat and keen to get these points on the board we deserve, looking forwards to next week Great effort gents, it will come I’m sure of it. You are working to hard and playing really well for it not too!

Plenty to choose from for Man of the Match again could have picked everyone.

Man of the Match: Will Oglesby – nearly dropped out with flu but worked that hard he was pretty much sick. Tactically superb and played with his heart on his sleeve.

Next Match: 10/11/18 Home v Clanfield (85) Dev – 2.15pm KO