Match Report – Chippenham Town Dev v Faringdon Town

Following last weekend’s disappointing performance in the County Cup, Town were looking to make amends as they travelled to the impressive Beversbrook sports facility in Calne to face Chippenham Town Development in uhlsport Hellenic Division Two West.

The Town squad saw a couple of changes, with skipper Josh Forth and goalkeeper Justin Yates on a stag weekend, Connor Guinness-Smith took over in-between the sticks and Adam Rudman wore the captains armband. The home side were all 17 years old and on an immaculate playing surface, Town knew what to expect and set out a game plan for the tie.

Town started brightly and Matt Pill had the opening opportunity, but he failed to hit the target. The home side quickly got into their passing rhythm but were not causing any real issues to the Faringdon rear guard, which was allowing Chippenham to play in front of them.

On 14 minutes, Joe Hoskin from rightback went on a mazy run into the home penalty area, but couldn’t quite connect at the critical time and the keeper gathered. Dan Courtney midway into the opening period collected a Matt Morris through ball on his chest, taking him past his marker and on to the edge of the penalty area, but his effort on goal went high and wide.

Chippenham continued to dominate the ball, but Guinness-Smith wasn’t tested at any point and with the half coming to a close, Ryan Bradbury found himself one on one with the home keeper and should have done better with his chance, the keeper easily saving his shot.

The second period began and the home side were on the front foot and on 52 minutes some last ditch defending from Town, prevented the home side taking the lead. Moments later and Guinness-Smith had to make his first save of the match as a Town free-kick on the edge of the home penalty area was cleared and a quick break left Town three on three at the back, but Town’s keeper was up to the shot on goal, forcing it over the bar.

On the hour and another Chippy effort looked goal-bound but again Town’s No. 1 was up to the task. On 65 minutes the deadlock was broken as a clearance from the Town defence was helped on by skipper Rudman in the centre circle, turning the home defence around and with Dan Hoskin hassling the fullback, he won the ball and squared it to Courtney who calmly side-footed the ball home into the far corner, giving the home keeper no chance.

The young home side did not give up, but Town’s shape was very good and despite loosing Dan Hoskin to the sinbin in the 75thminute for 10 minutes, Town stood tall and gained a valuable and hardworking victory.

Despite the home sides continued dominance of the ball, Town had the more clear cut chances over the 90 minutes and took a deserved three points and most importantly a clean sheet. Town’s management team were impressed by the change in attitude and togetherness from the whole squad and look forward to building on this for the coming weeks.

Final Score: Chippenham Town Dev 0 – 1 Faringdon Town

Squad: C Guinness-Smith, J Hoskin, A Sly, A Rudman(c), A Goodchild, M Wood, M Pill (85 O Baker), D Hoskin, D Courtney, M Morris (62 L Davenport), R Bradbury (77 D Reidy)

Next Game: Saturday 28th (3pm KO) – Away v Chippenham Town Dev (BSSC) yes Chippy again!!