Match Report 11-09-2019 – Goring Old Boys v Faringdon Town Vets

Old Boys Teach Town A Lesson!

Town’s opening game of the new Vets season saw us travel to Milton United to face promoted Goring Old Boys in the uhlsport Hellenic Veterans Premier Division. Town welcomed new signings Ben Eltham, Chris Woloczszynki, Mike Corcoran and Dave Rendle into the squad. The home side came into the game on the back of an impressive 5-1 defeat of Didcot Town the previous week, which the Gaffer had managed to take a look at.

The pitch was bumper and underwatered, but the skies were clear and the game kicked off as the sun settled. GOB’s were on the front foot from the start, however Paul Smith in the Town goal was rarely troubled and the opening 15 minutes had nothing to shout about as the two sides battled for supremacy.

Town’s first opportunity fell to Chris Roche, after a good run and cross from Andy Lynham, but the ball fell to Rochey’s wrong foot and he swung and missed the ball. As the half went on, Town was starting to win the midfield battles, but the final ball was poor and not much came of their attacking intent. On the half-hour, Anthony McCusker hit a sweet freekick from the left corner of the GOB’s penalty area, which he drove just wide of the far post.

As the half was coming to a close, a moment of brilliance broke the deadlock! A throw on the Town left was not marked correctly, the ball was crossed to the far corner of the Town penalty area, where the left winger swivelled and volleyed home from 18 yards, hitting top bins. It was one of those efforts which hits the back of the net or the building site behind the ground.

So the lads went into the half-time break a little disheartened, but knew they were still in the game and could take the points if they could improve the final ball. Rochey came off at half-time with a calf niggle and Colin Yates replaced him. As the half started with Town in the ascendancy, Rendle created the first chance of the half as he turned and shot, but his effort failed to hit the target.

On 55 minutes, Town’s manager introduced three substitutes to try and force the home wingers back into their own half and the move paid off almost immediately. Liam Humphreys hit a deep free kick into the Goring penalty area which wasn’t cleared and Ben Spencer’s volley struck a defenders arm and a penalty was awarded. Corcoran who hadn’t touched the ball since his introduction, confidently stood to take the spot kick. Despite it being well hit, the giant in orange pulled off a great save low to his right to deny Town an equaliser.

Within five minutes Town were punished as a quick run and cross down the right from GOB’s was met at the near post and forced home past Smith in the Town goal on 63 minutes. Town huffed and puffed but failed to create a clear opening, whilst the home number 16 was causing all manner of issues for the Town backline.

Within the final five minutes, Town’s heads had dropped and some players had given up which saw a further three goals conceded and a tight game finished with a 5-0 scoreline.

Final Score: Goring Old Boys 5 – 0 Faringdon Town Vets
MOTM: Glenn Townsend (Never gave up, tried to force the team forward)
DOTD: Corky (Penalty miss!!) Round of drinks for the squad…..

Squad: P Smith, S Pugh (L Humphreys 57mins), D Legg (M Corcoran 57mins), B Eltham (C Woloczszynski 57mins), G Sutton(C), G Townsend, A Lynham, B Spencer, D Rendle, A McCusker, C Roche (C Yates 40mins), Sub Not Used: C Pettis