Match Report 09/10/2019 – Carterton Town Vets v Faringdon Town Vets

The Vets were finally back in action after a three week lay off and began their quest to reach the final of the uhlsport Hellenic League Veterans Challenge Cup after being knocked out at the semi-final stage the two previous seasons. Three group fixtures begin the campaign before the knockout stages commence at the quarter-finals.

Town’s opening tie was away at Clanfield to face Carterton Town Vets from Division One, who the Vets had overcome in a pre-season friendly 4-1. The Town squad was again hit by unavailability and injuries, but it was hoped the lads could get back to playing in a way that we had made our own over the previous two seasons.

The match started with Town playing the ball around nicely, but failing to make any incisive passes in the danger zones of the Carterton penalty area. It wasn’t until the 15th minute that Town managed a shot on goal, which saw Chris Woloszczynski’s effort fail to hit the target.

Town were using the physical presence of skipper Gary Sutton in the front line and from one move, Anthony McCusker worked an opening but his left foot shot sailed over the bar, before he had a second effort which this time went wide of the far post with the keeper stranded.

Finally, on 29 minutes the breakthrough happened, as Derren Harrington played a defence splitting pass and despite the home sides appeals, their linesman kept his flag down and allowed Colin Yates to calmly slot home for a 1-0 Town lead. Moments later and Yates should have doubled his and Town’s tally, but he scuffed his effort wide of the left hand post.

Carterton were struggling to get into the game, however Town did overplay and the home side broke away, worked an opening but slashed their effort massively wide with only Lee Ruddle in the Town goal to beat. This provided some impetus for Carterton and if not for a terrific goal-line clearance from Andy Lynham, they could have been level on 34 minutes. Both sides had half chances as the 1st period came to a close, but the score line remained unchanged.

The second half started with Town again in the ascendancy and on 54 minutes their dominance paid off as Sutton seized onto a moment of hesitation from the home defence and managed to beat the last defender to a header, before heading over the keeper to double Town’s lead.

Just after the hour and the home keeper pulled off a great full length save to his left to deny Harrington making it three, when striking a great free-kick. However, moments later it was three, when a miskick by the keeper saw the impressive Aidan Streete score with an open goal available to him.

As the game came to a close, Streete turned provider as he skinned the full-back and provided a terrific cross for Harrington, but his volley went wide of the target. 

Town boss Martin Harries was happy with the team’s performance.

“The lads did as we asked and played football and kept the ball for long periods. The pitch was certainly lively and meant some passes went astray for both sides, but I felt we were in control for long periods and when you consider the numbers missing, it was nice to get the first win of the season”.

Team: L Ruddle, S Pugh, A Lynham, D Francis (sub 54 A Streete), C Pettis (sub 57 C Gaynor), G Townsend, A McCusker, C Woloszczynski, G Sutton(c), C Yates (sub 40 B Eltham), D Harrington

Final Score: Carterton Town Vets 0 – 3 Faringdon Town Vets

MOTM: Gary Sutton & Glenn Townsend (Impressive at both ends of the pitch)

DOTD: Andy Lynham (Missing his Tutu, lovely pirouette!)