Match Report 05/10/2019 – Faringdon Town v Clanfield (85) Development

Town were back in uhlsport Hellenic Division Two West action on Saturday, with near neighbours Clanfield (85) Development the visitors to Tucker Park. Town sat 4th prior to kick off, looking to build on their last two league and cup wins, whilst the visitors had claimed a single point from three league fixtures.

Town got off to their normal slow start and gifted Clanny a goal within three minutes of kick off. Andy Goodchild failed to clear his lines, the ball fell to the number 10 who chipped Town keeper Connor Guinness-Smith at the Folly View Road end, to put Town on the immediate back foot.

Clanny were mainly looking for the long pump over the Town backline and it wasn’t until the 23rd minute that we had our first effort at their goal, when Matty Pill got onto the end of a Guinness-Smith goal kick, his first touch moved him away from his marker, but he overran the ball down the Tucker Park slope and was unable to get a clear strike on goal as the ball ran through to the grateful keeper.

The only other telling point of the half was when skipper Josh Forth rose highest at a corner, but his header went wide of the goal.

Town manager Chris Benson was not pleased with the first half showing and made his feelings known in the dressing room to try and instil some bite and battle into the squad, which they showed the previous week at Chippenham.

Unfortunately, Clanfield had other ideas and started brightly, with another ball over the top, beating the offside trap, the striker struck at goal, which Guinness-Smith managed to block on the edge of his penalty area and the rebound was chipped over the bar.

Town introduced Dan Courtney from the bench of 56 minutes to have two strikers and immediately gained an equaliser, when a long ball of their own was not dealt with by the visiting fullback and keeper. Ryan Bradbury seized on the hesitation and managed to squeeze the ball home from a tight angle. Town were now on the front foot and a Bradbury cross was headed goal-bound on 63 minutes, but the keeper made a good save with his feet to deny Town. A very slick move on Town’s left created an opening for Adam Rudman, but his drive from 20 yards sailed over.

Clanfield were not done with their own attacking and on 71 minutes a cross come shot, shaved the face of the Town crossbar, with Guinness-Smith stranded. Five minutes later and debutant James Williams was put in down the right but his cross failed to meet the outstretched foot of Harrington with the goal gaping.

With the game coming to a close, both sides felt they should have snatched the winner, Guinness-Smith pulled off a great save low to his left, with the rebounded cross flashing across the goal and then moments later a free header at the far post was headed over by the Clanfield winger.

Then with the game about to end, Rudman was faced with just the keeper to beat after another incisive passing Town move, but he failed to hit the target as an almost opening goal was at his mercy. Immediately, the final whistle was blown and both sides will think this was two points dropped.

Town manager Chris Benson was in reflective mood at the final whistle “Both sides had the opportunities to win the game, it wasn’t a classic by any stretch of the imagination. For us, we had seven lads missing today through unavailability and they should all be available for selection next week, which gives me a great headache to have. It is only a point, the lads are all disappointed, but that’s now three games unbeaten”.

Team: C Guinness-Smith, D Harrington, A Lynham, O Baker (Sub 56mins D Courtney), J Forth(c), A Goodchild, K Kumid (Sub 30mins J Williams) M Pill, A Rudman, R Bradbury, R Harrington – Sub Not Used: J Vaughan

Final Score: Faringdon Town 1-1 Clanfield (85) Development

Chameleon Roof - Faringdon Town FC Sponsor
Chameleon Roof – Faringdon Town FC Sponsor