Faringdon Town Vets – Match Report

Faringdon Town FC Vets v Chinnor Vet B

The Vets welcomed Premier League side Chinnor B to Clanfield (85) FC’s Radcot Road Ground, in the 2nd Group D match of this seasons Veterans Challenge Cup. The Vets went into the match on a run of three victories over Woodley Utd Vets (League 4-1), Goring Utd Vets (League 3-1) & Woodley Utd Vets (Cup 2-0), so were full of confidence.

The squad was looking a little thinner in numbers due to work commitments and injuries, but the 14 players, plus the management duo adding to the bench, meaning we still had larger numbers available than our older visitors. Town started on the front foot and were putting the Chinnor defence under a fair amount of pressure, however, the high crosses were bread and butter for their three centre-halves. Without a clear chance being created, the visitors caught Town out cold as they sliced the home defence open and their speedy number 11, coolly slotted home under the advancing Lee Ruddle.

We continued to huff and puff, however, our final decision wasn’t clinical enough, with Paul Smith hitting the woodwork from a very tight angle and then Mike Marsh broke the Chinnor offside trap, only to place his shot across the face of the goal, with only the keeper to beat. However, Town did manage to breakthrough on the half-hour mark, when Glen Townsend played a neat one-two to overlap the visiting left-back and saw his cross loop over the stranded keeper to draw Town level and send the home supporters into raptures!!! As the half came to a close, Town then missed two glorious chances as first Smith dithered too long and saw his shot cleared off the line and Marsh failed to convert the rebound.

At half-time, the management asked the lads to use their younger, fitter and greater in number squad to its fullest as the visiting side with only one sub (who didn’t seem keen to join in!) would obviously tire. Town started on the front foot and the visitors were resorting to all the match delaying tactics possible, plus a number of unfavourable challenges and flailing limbs! Town’s pressure saw them have a number of corners, camping in the Chinnor penalty area, but we couldn’t quite get the appropriate touch.

The winning goal then arrived midway through the second period, as Smith played a ball into the penalty area and despite his first effort being blocked, Craig Gaynor reacted quickest despite close attention from a defender to steer the ball home. The tackles were getting later and higher as the game came to a close, one particularly left Troy Redman with a sizable stud mark from his groin to knee!!

However, despite the visitors worst efforts, they couldn’t find an equaliser and Town made it two wins in the group and four unbeaten in all competitions, with the final game in two weeks-time against OUP at Abingdon Town.

Final Score: Faringdon Town Vets 2 – 1 Chinnor Vets B

Squad: Lee Ruddle, Glen Townsend, Dave Legg, Gavin Stevens, Gary Sutton©, Nick Wojcik, Paul Hulme, Troy Redman, Aidan Streete, Paul Smith, Phil Thompson, Patrick Graham, Mick Marsh, Craig Gaynor, Subs Not Used: Martin Harries, John Lovegrove.

Man of the Match: Paul Hulme (Drove the side forward and despite some challenging tactics from opponents, gave the side impetus)

Dick of the Day: Troy Redman (Shocking half scorpion, half diving header!)