Match Report – Faringdon Town v Newent Town Reserves

Town progressed to the quarter-final stage of the Chairman’s Challenge Cup today, winning 3-1 on penalties following a hard-fought 3-3 draw after ninety minutes with Newent Town Reserves.

Town started quickly and took a 4th-minute lead when Jack Green closed down a clearance and the ball fell to Sean Creeley wide on the left-hand side. Creeley showed great skill to beat his marker, before outpacing the centre half and then hitting his shot high into the goal, past the keeper for a wonderful individual effort and a 1-0 lead.

Town continued to dominate as they attacked the Playground End but failed to apply the finishing touch to many good opportunities. As the half came to a close, Newent had two good chances, but Andy Goodchild’s goal-line clearance and then a great save from Frankie Godwin in the Town goal, kept the scoreline at 1-0 as the half-closed. 

Newent started the second period with 10 players, following a sin-bin card being shown just as the opening half-closed, but this didn’t appear to hamper them as they equalised on 51 minutes. A needless free-kick was conceded on the Town left and it was swung into the Town penalty area. Two unmarked visiting attackers ran across the flight of the ball and this distracted Godwin who failed to gather the ball and the visitors were level.

Town immediately responded though as Creeley went on another mazy run, before being upended in the Newent penalty area and a spot-kick was awarded. Jason Evans dispatched the penalty with ease and Town were back in front. On the hour and it was 2-2, another cheap free-kick was given away by Town in their own half and Godwin punched the retake whilst under pressure, the ball fell to the Newent player, who hooked his volley into the goal and it was game on!

Town were struggling with the low sun, which was behind the Newent goal at the Folly View End of Tucker Park and the visitors were taking full advantage of Town mistakes and on 65 minutes they deservedly took the lead, as they were awarded a penalty of their own.

Goodchild was adjudged to have pushed the attacker in the back, the spot-kick was dispatched and the Forest of Dean men were 3-2 up. Town lost Ryan Bradbury for 10 minutes as he was sin-binned to hamper a Town fight back, but on his reappearance, Town changed formation and decided to go for broke.

This paid dividends on 85 minutes when Goodchild made amends and finished well to draw Town level at 3-3. Just as normal time came to a close, Creeley was then sent to the sin-bin himself, which with the game going to penalties, meant he could not take part in them.

The spot kicks were duly taken at the Folly View End with Bradbury, Goodchild and Davenport dispatching their efforts for Town, whilst Forth and Green missed their’s, along with three Newent players for a Town 3-1 penalty victory.

Final Score: Faringdon Town 3-3 Newent Town Reserves (FTFC win 3-1 on pens)

Town Squad: F Godwin, A Rudman, A Lynham (Sub 62 S Saunders), M Pill, L Davenport, A Goodchild, R Bradbury, J Forth(c), J Evans (Sub 58 M Morris), S Creeley, J Green.