Match Report – Faringdon Town v Clanfield (85) FC

Town Put Up Fight To Higher League Neighbours!

Town welcomed Clanfield (85) FC who had travelled the 4 miles up the Radcot Road to Tucker Park, to see who would go through to the third round of the Challenge Cup.

Town were hampered by last-minute dropouts and only had one substitute and with Derren Harrington having a hamstring pull after only 15 minutes, the 11 lads on the pitch were in for a long afternoon against Division One side Clanfield.

The away sides first chance came on 20 minutes when a header rattled the Town crossbar and then on 24 minutes the match was held up for 5 minutes as Town centre back Matt Wood had treatment for a twisted knee, which would hamper him for the remainder of his time on the pitch.

Shortly after the restart and Town had their first sight of goal as a quick breakaway saw substitute Kameron Muhid hit a goal-bound effort which was blocked by a number of Clanny flying bodies. The visitors had all of the ball, but their build-up play was slow and ponderous and despite a couple of long-range efforts which cleared the Town goal, the half went by with Town looking fairly comfortable.

The Town management team made it clear that the work rate had to continue as the away side would be receiving a rocket from their bench following the first-half efforts. Town keeper Connor Guinness-Smith then made a smart save on 48 minutes.

Soon after and the outside of the goal was hit by a Clanfield freekick before Ryan Bradbury made the keeper work with a freekick of his own and force a corner, which came to nothing. On 61 minutes, hesitation between Guinness-Smith and Andy Goodchild, saw the Clanfield striker sneak in between them, however, Guinness-Smith was equal to the goal-bound effort pulling off a smart save to safety.

Unfortunately, two minutes later and the visitors’ pressure paid off as Town lost the ball cheaply on the halfway line and a quick break saw the ball spread from right to left, where the Clanfield number 3 calmly slotted home for the opening goal. Soon after and the Town left hand upright was hit with a fierce Clanfield shot before a controversial penalty decision by the match official, saw Clanfield awarded a penalty.

Facing the Folly View Road end, the Clanfield number 10 hit his spot-kick high over the Town goal and the scoreline remained 1-0. Moments later, Clanfield felt they should have been awarded a second penalty, this one looked blatant to both benches, however, the man in black waved play on.

But on the next attack, as the forward got down the side of the Town defence, another dubious penalty was awarded, which only the referee appeared to see. This time, the spot-kick was taken by the Clanfield substitute striker and duly placed into the goal for 0-2. Town centre back Wood then made the decision he couldn’t continue on 75 minutes after soldiering, leaving Town down to 10 players.

This obviously saw Clanfield push for further goals and despite Guinness-Smith pulling off a great save on 77 minutes, shortly after an in-swinging cross was deflected past the Town number 1, by the leg of a Town defender for 0-3. Town continued to work hard and came off the field of play with their heads held high after putting in a very good team performance.

Final Score: Faringdon Town 0-3 Clanfield (85) FC

Town Squad: C Guiness-Smith, D Harrington (sub 15min K Muhid), A Lynham, A Goodchild, M Wood, J Forth, R Bradbury, L Davenport, D Courtney, M Pill, A Sly.

Next Match: Tuesday 22nd October, 19.45 KO – Wantage Town Dev – Away