Match Report 30/11/2019 – Faringdon Town v Newent Town Reserves

Following last weekends one-goal defeat, Town were back at Tucker Park welcoming Newent Town Reserves who made the long journey from The Forest of Dean.

Town were hoping for an immediate bounce back and the visitors were hoping to push on into the top four of Division Two West.

The opening stages of the game saw Town take control of the match but failed to create any clear cut chances. The first shot on goal came from the visitors in the 13th minute, but this was dealt with easily by Connor Guinness-Smith in the Town goal.

Town were dealt a blow after 25 minutes when skipper Josh Forth had to leave the game following a hamstring injury but replaced by Will Bazen, who gained more valuable minutes after his long term injury. Soon after though, it was 1-0 Town as Christian Wills pounced on a misplaced back pass, before placing the ball past the advancing keeper.

Whilst Town were comfortable with the ball, the visitors always looked dangerous on the counter-attack and Guinness-Smith had to be alert on a couple of occasions. Adam Rudman had two efforts at goal for Town from distance, but both failed to test the keeper.

With the half coming to a close, Newent felt they should have had a penalty when their full-back was barged to the floor. However, in the next attack, the referee did give them a spot kick when the ball popped up to strike Dinesh Gurung’s hand and the resulting penalty was put away for an undeserved equaliser.


The second half started with Newent in the ascendancy, attacking the Playground End. They had three decent efforts at goal within the opening five minutes of the half, but the Town goal was never troubled. On the hour and Town made a double substitution with Robbie Harrington & Ryan Bradbury replacing Wills and Gurung and this changed the course of the game.

Within two minutes, Town were back in the lead as Jack Green played a great ball inside to the on-rushing Matty Pill whose first touch took him past the defender, before crossing to Adam Sly at the back post, who took a touch, before placing the ball home.

On 73 minutes, the referee adjudged that Harrington needed to spend time in the sinbin, causing Town to play with ten men for ten minutes. Newent pushed their extra player up top and resorted in pumping the ball long, which Town were dealing with. But on 78 minutes the visitors wasted an opportunity to equalise as they worked an opening at the far post, which the number 10 ballooned over the goal.

Still down to ten men, Town quickly broke away and Ryan Bradbury hit a rasping effort, which took a slight deflection to send the ball over the keeper and into the goal for 3-1 after 81 minutes.

Moments later and Guinness-Smith saved well with his feet to keep Newent at bay and with the game coming to a close, Green grabbed a fourth for Town as he broke away, before rifling home, giving the keeper no chance and Town taking the three points.

Final Score: Faringdon Town 4 – 1 Newent Town Reserves

A deserved victory for Town, which keeps them within touching distance of the top five sides above them.

Team: C Guinness-Smith, D Gurung (sub R Bradbury 61), A Lynham, A Rudman, A Goodchild, L Davenport, J Green, J Forth(c) (sub W Bazen 25), C Wills (sub R Harrington 61), M Pill, A Sly – Subs Not Used: K Muhid, A Capper

Next Game: Home v Shortwood Utd Dev – Saturday 7th December, 2pm KO