Weekend Round Up – Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th April 2016

Two close defeats for the senior sides, whilst the youth section had a number of cancellations and mixed results over the weekend.

The 1st Team travelled to Abingdon Town for a 2.00pm kick off, however the home side wanted a 2.30pm kick off and after much deliberation with the match official, a 2.30pm kick off finally took place……..Town gave as good as they got considering both sides league position and form going into the fixture. Town had collected only two league wins all season, whilst the home side were very much in the title hunt, with games in hand over the other title contenders. Town fell behind, but equalised when Martyn Gatehouse was left unmarked at the far post, before the home side managed to grab the winner from the penalty spot for a 2-1 victory. Despite the defeat, Town can take heart from the performance.

The Reserves were up against promotion chasing Turnpike Sports in NBFL Division 2 at Tucker Park. Town knew a positive result would end any doubts regarding relegation and Sports had to win to try and remain in the hunt for the final promotion place. The visitors came out very quickly, playing some very quick pass & move football, finding pockets between the lines and took the lead midway through the opening half. Town came out more determined in the second half after closing the opening half the stronger and carved out one or two chances, without testing the keeper fully. As Town pushed for the equaliser, skipper Paul Smith was adjudged to have fouled a visiting striker in the penalty area. The striker stepped up, only for Ryan Curtis to make a fine save, just prior to the final whistle with the away side taking the three points in a game Town deserved at least a draw.

On Saturday morning the three development sides were in Trophy Event semi final action and unfortunately, despite all the sides playing well, the ball would not go in the net, so the under 8’s, 9’s and 10’s were all unlucky not to reach their respective finals.

The under 12’s made the journey to Cowley Marshes on Sunday morning for their final Spring C League fixture. When they arrived, they found the pitch double booked and the sides made the journey back to Faringdon to play the game. Unfortunately, Town lost 2-1.

The under 13’s kept themselves in the title hunt for the B League, as they made the journey to fellow promotion hopefuls Crowmarsh Youth Rooks in the B League. Town gained a valuable 4-2 victory, to move within three points of leaders Abingdon Youth, with a game in hand.

The under 15’s fixture at home to Summertown Stars was postponed due to the away side being unable to field a side.

Town under 16’s had hoped to build on their midweek victory over Highfield Colts, as they entertained mid-table Abingdon Youth at Tucker Park. Unfortunately, the away side took advantage of a below par display from Town to run out 3-0 winners. Despite the defeat, Town remain in second position.

Dan Heffernan’s under 17’s were expecting Marston Saints to visit Tucker Park, but like the under 15’s, the fixture was postponed due to the away side being unable to raise a side.