A-Team Match Report – Saturday 14th January 2017

Match Report – Faringdon Town A v Wallingford A

Saturday 14th January

This was the A-Team’s first game since the 9th of December and it could not have been tougher with top of the table Wallingford Town A their opponents at Tucker park.

The Don had a strong squad and were looking forward to the challenge. The game started evenly both sides finding it difficult to find their passes on a heavy pitch. Jack Green was looking sharp and after 10 mins a Jason Evans through ball put Jack in but he was beaten to the ball by the opposing keeper. Two minutes later and Jack was in again this time the defenders heavy shove in the box knocked Jack of the ball, penalties have been given for less. 16 minutes and it was Jack again Matthew Pill found Jack’s feet and his shot was put behind for a corner. Pilly and Seb Kolodziejczyk combined down the left Seb put a great ball into the box it evaded everyone falling to Chris Watts on the opposite flank his cross looked dangerous but went out harmless for a goal kick.

The breakthrough came on 20 minutes and it was the Don who took the lead. Jason’s through ball saw Jack Green just beaten to the ball on the edge of Wallingford’s box. The keepers clearance went straight to Liam Farmer who was just in the Wallingford half he controlled moved the ball forward ten yards and hit a shot from 40 yards. The keeper was still way out of his goal and the covering defender could do nothing as the ball hit the back of the net. (Unfortunately, Liam suffered a nasty injury soon after and will be out of action for 6-8 weeks we wish him a speedy recovery.) Ollie Pickett replaced Liam returning for his first game since dislocating his shoulder and the beginning of the season. Wallingford pushed for the equaliser and were applying pressure. A combination of Dan Pugh and Chris Watts repelled one attack. A free kick from the edge of the box was well defended and the Wallingford player was crowded out.

The Don were creaking under the pressure and another free kick to Wallingford was headed goal-ward Lee Murbey got down low to his left and turned the ball round the post for a corner great save. Jason hit a tame free kick over the bar with 5 mins left. Wallingford almost snatched a late goal when Nick Wojcik was caught in possession but quick covering from Captain Dan cleared the danger and the Dons defence stood firm from the ensuing two corners.

Keeper Lee Murby damaged his shoulder and had to be replaced in goal by Jason. James Tyler replaced Darryl Curtis and Macca went up top. Wallingford were still applying the pressure but the Don were getting their fair share of the play. Leon put in Jack down the left but his shot went wide. 10 mins in and Wallingford broke through the back line but Dan took one for the team bringing his man down 30yrds from goal. Jason saved well with his feet when one on one with the advising forward. Jason then nearly undone his good work. As he teased the Wallingford player he was robbed but the attacker was driven wide and the chance had gone. Leon was enjoying more space down the left flank his pass infield found Seb who curled a superb shot towards the top corner but an outstanding save from the Wallingford keeper prevented the goal. Pilly tweaked his hammy and was replaced by Iain Lawson.

Twenty minutes into the 2nd half a cross from the left found the Wallingford attacker climbed high made a good connection heading the ball towards the bottom corner Jason was down quick to parry and gathered the loose ball. Jack continued to caused problem down the left after a mazy run he put in a great cross which went begging for a tap but no one there. Minutes later it was 1-1. A turn and shot from the edge of the box saw the ball hit the net just inside the post. Wallingford changed shape pushing an extra man into midfield the Don quickly matched this bringing Seb in field and Jack going wide left. This left Iain up top on his own and Wallingford now enjoyed their best spell but for all their possession they did not threaten the Dons goal due to good organising by Woj and determined defending from the whole team.

With Fifteen mins to go and The Don won a corner Jack swung it in to the near post and Seb scrambled the ball over the line. Macca was seeing more of the ball James and Jack were quick to join Iain who was working his socks off up top. On 85 mins, a carbon copy corner from Jack saw Taff flick home from close range. Game over.

Final Score: Faringdon Town A 3-1 Wallingford A

Great team effort from all 15. It’s not very often you get all 15 with an 8 of 10 performance. Good to see the youngsters performing so well Jack, Leon, Macca & Chris.

Man of the Match: Jack Green. Caused problems all day grew stronger as the game went on.