MATCH REPORT – 01/10/16

Brimscombe & Thrupp

Faringdon Town 1-3 Brimscombe & Thrupp Res –

After a long trip to Banbury last week Town were at home for first of 5 at Tucker Park.

Town made a good start against their strong opponents, with the opening exchanges pretty even. A couple of good block saves from Towns keeper Justin Yates and a few corners for The Don coming to nothing. Town had a great chance 25 mins in when forward Jordan Wilkins raced down the left, cut inside and hit a great effort that hit the bottom of the post and went wide. Towns defence were working hard and concentrating with the midfield keeping shape and making things difficult for their opponents. Brimscombe had a couple of corners and from one of these should have scored apart from the superb Justin Yates clawing the ball from behind him to keep them out.

Half time and the game 0-0.

Town spoke about patience and working hard for one another to bring a result home. However within 5 mins they were 1-0 down, The Don hadn’t come out the changing rooms and didn’t switch on to a second ball that the Brimscombe forward latched on to and hit into the top corner. Towns reaction was good and in-form forward Jordan Wilkins found himself racing away from the opponents defence and hitting the post again! Town were pushing for the equaliser and broke again with Jordan cutting a ball back to Rob Owen who slipped in Josh Forth who’s effort was blocked. 5 mins later the post came to the rescue again for Brimscombe when Jordan Wilkins hit it for a third time!! Must have thought it wasn’t his day! However a cute ball from Louis Bowers cut the Brimscombe defence open and Jordan, one on one finally got the goal he deserved, in off the post!!!! 1-1 and deservedly so.

With in 5 minutes town switched off and conceded a poor goal. A mistake from one of Towns centre backs allowed the Brimscombe forward a free run at goal who coolly finished! 2-1 down.

The Don then continued where they left off even raising the tempo even more trying to get that equaliser again, a number of corners and crosses were put in and from one of these town midfielder Matty Pill hit a left foot volley that was heading top corner but was well saved by the keeper. Towns spell was relentless but inevitably when pushing hard to get back in the game they were caught on the break and found themselves somehow 3-1 down.

To Towns credit they didn’t stop and continued to push, Jordan again having a great effort saved by the keeper. A bombardment of 5 corners in a row for Town still didn’t see a goal and the ref blew his whistle for full-time.

Overall happy with the effort and quality showed from the lads, on another day we would have scored another 3 or 4 goals! A real high tempo game that was competitive from the first minute to the last. All credit for the desire to carry on after conceding the second and even the third goal. Great team spirit at the moment just hoping we start getting the rewards for the performances that we are putting in. Jordan Wilkins needs a quiet word with the post before next weeks game!!
Darryl Curtis – Manager

Man of the Match: Jordan Wilkins

Faringdon Town Reserves gained their first points of the season with a 2-1 victory over Kintbury Reserves in Div 2. Adam Bird opened the scoring after just 30 seconds. Kintbury replying just before half-time to go in 1-1 at the break. Richard Evans scored the winner.

The A-Team travelled to Didcot Eagles for their Div 5 clash and were unfortunately on the end of an 8-0 defeat.