Match Report – A-Team v Marcham Reserves – Faringdon Town Football Club

Match Report – A-Team v Marcham Reserves – 18 February 2017

If its goal’s you want the A-Team is the team to watch. Another high scoring game sees the total goal tally in the last four games raise to 26. The Don travelled to Marcham who sat just below us in the league no doubt hoping to gain ground.

Early on Martin Key and Jason Evans went through but on both occasions the keeper was quicker to the ball and cleared his lines. Leon Redwood Hanson cleared a Marcham attack after 5 mins for a corner. The corner came in and after a bit of a scramble the ball was poked home to put Marcham 1 up. It was end to end Marcham looked dangerous with every attack and the Don had shots from Jack Green and Jason saved by the impressive keeper. Jason had a good run into the boxing beating several players before being crowded out. On 20 minutes a free kick out on the left flank was swung into the Marcham box by Will Ogelsby a downward header found Ben Hayes who finished from close range to score his first goal for the club. Jack went on a massey run and hit a good shot forcing the keeper into another save. With the Don pressing we always looked likely to get caught on the break which is how Marcham took the lead. A clearance out to the touch line was then expertly knock across field and the Marcham forward lifted the ball over Jarvis Reeves as he advanced. Richard Evans was introduced after half an hour and he livened things up with his pace. Marcham’s keeper saved shots from Rich, Jack, and Jason as the Don pushed for the equaliser but half time arrived with no further goals.

We were confident at half time that with the help of the considerable slope and a change of formation we could win this game.

Rich wasted little time and it was 2-2 within 5 mins of the restart his crisp finish from just inside the box gave the keeper little chance. Darryl Curtis hit the bar. Rich was then through one on one and the keeper bought him down on the edge of the box but no red card. Once again it was Marcham who retook the lead. A long ball caught Jarvis out as he hesitated and came late taking out the Marcham forward for a penalty for which he could have also seen red but no punishment other than a goal being scored from the spot. The lads good character and commitment would be tested as once again they had to come from behind. Good interplay between Jack and Jason saw the later shoot over. A few minutes of pressure by Marcham was resisted with the high light being a double block by Will and Ollie Pickett. Rich Evans struck as we equalised for the third time. From a corner the ball fell to the edge of Marchams box a deflected shot fell to the feet of Rich who did not waste any time in smashing home from 5 yard’s. The lines man flagged for offside (which it clearly was not) the ref rightly awarded the goal. The Marcham keeper protested a bit too much and was shown a red card. Marcham never looked like scoring again it was just a matter of whether we could get the winner. With 10 minutes remaining Ben intercepted a through ball midway in our half he moved forward to the half way line he then released Rich with a ball out to the left. Rich carried the ball to the edge of the Marcham box cut in onto his right and unleashed a shot that gave the keeper no chance to complete his hat trick. The Don saw the remainder of the game out to seal all three points.

Final Score: Marcham Res 3 – 4 Faringdon Town A

A good team performance good grit determination and energy shown by all especially Woj and Ollie in the centre of the park. Marcham will come to Tucker Park next week looking for revenge.