Match Report – A-Team v Marcham Res – 25/2/17

Match Report – Faringdon A v Marcham Res – 25/2/17 –

Marcham visited Tucker Park on Saturday afternoon, looking to gain revenge for last week’s defeat.

Late drop-outs saw the squad change on several occasions but we managed to get a squad of 15 together.

Once again, The Don started slowly and Marcham were applying pressure. They had two free kicks on the edge of our box and a corner cleared from danger by the A’s defence. After five minutes, we once again gave the opposition a head start. Some slack defending saw Marcham score from close range. This woke the Don up and the next 40 minutes belonged to the home side. Jason Evans was brought down on the edge for a free kick, which was wasted. Jason then put brother Richard Evans in, but his shot rebounded off the post, it just needed a tap in but no one was on hand take advantage.

Darryl Curtis set up Jason who shot wide. Rich then put Jack Green in he was brought down on the edge. Jack blazed the free-kick over. 20 minutes in and the lads were playing some of their best football of the season. Andy Capper had replaced the injured Dan Pugh and was looking dominant at the back. Nick Wojcik was stepping out of defence with the ball linking well with our midfield. Chris Watts was seeing a lot of the ball and linking well down the right with Darryl.

We had all the play but could not force the equaliser. Jason went through and chipped the advancing keeper only to see the ball go wide for a goal kick. Then the goal finally came. The Don won a free kick wide on the left-hand side. Leon Redwood Hanson put the ball into a crowded penalty area the ball evaded everyone and nestled into the corner of the net.

The Don continued to dominate, Woj’s through ball was missed judged by their keeper as he advanced he ran passed the ball but managed to scramble back and make the save. Next Rich rounded the keeper only to see his shot cleared of the line. Marcham had are rare attack which saw them win a free kick on the edge of our box. A decent effort saw the ball heading just under the bar, Robbie Harrington in the town goal tipped it over for a corner.

Half-time: 1-1

Early play in the second half was scrappy with neither side creating anything. We had a scare when Leon headed back to Rob it looked like the ball would go wide of him and into the path of the advancing forward but good reactions saw Rob flick the ball to safety. Leon then had a shot well saved at the other end. After 20mins of the restart the Don started to play with confidence. James Tyler was pulling the strings in the centre of midfield with Ollie Pickett giving the back four good protection with his fierce tackles.

Decent Goal – Dodgy Celebration!

The goal came just before the hour mark. Rich’s free-kick saw the ball break to Macaulay Luckett-Grove who finished well from 12 yards, (not sure about the celebration Macca). It was only going to be a matter of time before the Don scored again as we kept pushing forward. A Jason free-kick found Darryl but he missed kicked when well placed.

Rich then had a goal disallowed. He went in 50/50 with the keeper the ball span loose and Rich finished while lying on the ground, but he was a judged to have fouled the keeper. Marcham hardly got in our half, but we needed that third goal to kill them off. It came with 10 minutes to go. Jack swung in a good corner the ball broke to Macca his shot was blocked and fell to Jason 12 yards out. Jason did what he does best, smashing the ball home to secure all three points.

We saved the best until last. In the dying minutes a combination of play down the left saw Jack switch play from left to right with a 30 yard diagonal ball, which Cam Bazi controlled beat his man and put the ball across to the advancing James who headed home. A well worked goal, that put the icing on the cake and gave James a goal he deserved for his all-round impressive display.

Final Score: Faringdon A 4 – 1 Marcham Res

Another win and up to fourth. Two games to go and hopefully we can keep the good run going. Next week when we entertain Uffington Res at the Park, for our final home game.