Match Report – Faringdon Town Vets v Goring Old Boys

Faringdon Town Vets v Goring Old Boys

The Town management asked the matchday squad to start this weeks home match against Goring Old Boys, the total opposite to last weeks. The squad did just that, from the first whistle the FTFC Vets were challenging every ball, chasing down every pass and putting pressure on the opposition.

In the opening minutes Town created some half chances with the visitors struggling to cope with Paul Smith, leading the Town line. On 14 minutes it was 1-0 as keeper Lee Ruddle picked out Smith, heading onto Craig Gaynor who initially wanted to lob the keeper, but chose to play the ball across the goal for the on rushing Mike ‘Zippy’ Marsh who made no mistake from 10 yards.

Within four minutes Town and Marsh doubled their goal tally with another flowing move. Matt Grantham played in Phil Thompson whose slide rule pass found Smith in on goal with only the keeper to beat, his shot was saved but Zippy reacted quickest and smashed the ball home into the roof of the net.

Smith and Iain Lawson both had one on ones with the visitors keeper to extend the lead further, but were thwarted by the giant in orange!

The half time team talk was easy for the management, continue as we had been playing but take our chances.

Within three minutes of the restart, Lawson made it 3-0 when he outstripped the visitors defence getting onto the end of a Smith flick on and he delightfully lobbed the visiting custodian. On 46 minutes and Lawson showed the Town supporters and bench that his first goal was no fluke! Smith again played the ball through the visiting defenders and Lawson lobbed the keeper with an even better finish than his first to put Town 4-0 up.

This put the Town management in an unenviable position, could they afford to allow Zippy or Lawse the chance to score a hat-trick as the team WhatsApp group would go into meltdown if it happened!

The visitors had other thoughts and on 50 minutes they pulled a goal back, with Town having a free kick on the edge of the Goring penalty area, they made the wrong decision, lost the ball and on the counter attack, a foul was lost and a yellow card produced. From the resulting free kick, Town failed to deal with the ball and the away striker scored into the empty net.

Town went in search of a fifth goal and it was Matt Grantham who scored his first Don goal. Smith’s inswinging corner found Grantham a yard out and he made no mistake in the centre of the goal, just!

Smith missed another one on one, Marsh couldn’t get enough on a diving header and then Lawson connected too well with a volley which found the keeper and not the net, before the excellent match official blew the final whistle and Town went top of the table with a 5-1 victory.

The management team were pleased with the victory and performance and will have some headaches selecting a squad before taking on Watlington next week at Chinnor FC.

Final Score: Faringdon Town Vets 5-1 Goring Old Boys

MOM: Iain Lawson (two great goals and could have had four!)
DOTD: Craig Gaynor (don’t offer team-mates lifts if you’re going to forget them bud!)

Squad: Lee Ruddle, Steve Pugh, Dave Legg, Nick Wojcik, Gary Sutton(c), Glenn Townsend, Phil Thompson, Mike Marsh, Paul Smith, Craig Gaynor, Troy Redman, Matt Grantham, Damian Francis, Matt Grantham, subs not used: John Lovegrove, Martin Harries.