Match Report – Faringdon Town v Brimscombe & Thrupp Res

Faringdon Town v Brimscombe and Thrupp Res – 28th October 2017

First league game for a while and Town were keen to get back to winning ways. We started slow and faced a corner in the first 5 mins. We dealt with it and then started to look abit more comfortable. With 10 mins gone Town took the lead. A great pass out wide to James Tranter, he beat his man and put a delightful cross in for forward Mike van de Mortel who nodded home. 1-0 up.

For some reason Town then sat back and the game turned scrappy. For the next 20 mins both sides cancelled each other out with no real chances. A free-kick for Brimscombe was fired just wide but Towns keeper Justin Yates had it covered.

Towns next best chance was for James Tranter, captain Matthew Pill slipped a lovely ball through to him to run on to but James scuffed his shot. Half-time whistle went and Town 1-0 up against the slope and the wind.

Town came out second half knowing full well they need to get the next goal, however after 10 mins Brimscombe equalised with a controversial goal. The linesman put his flag up for offside, the ref didn’t see it and let the Brimscombe player carry on. He bundled it forwards with his arm and put the ball in the net. Some of the Town players had stopped due to the flag. The ref spoke to the linesman and told him he couldn’t give the offside as he had played on for too long!

The Town players should of played to the whistle, 1-1. This then set up a big 30 minutes. Town made changes and started to pile on the pressure. A number of chances came and went, one being a great shot by James Tranter that was well saved by the keeper.

A number of corners were fired in and we looked like we were going to get that goal. A header from James Tranter after a great cross from Christian Wills came off the top of the bar. Another controversial moment when James Tranter ran through and was taken out in the box, a blatant penalty not given!

As the time ticked away it was clear it wasn’t going to be our day, another headed chance for VDM was saved by the keeper. The ref finally blew his whistle and the game finished some how 1-1.

Overall glad we didn’t lose, but disappointed through the amount of chances particularly in the second half that we didn’t go on to win the game. The lads were disappointed after the game and knew it was one that got away.

Could not fault the effort from the lads to continue pushing after getting some strange decisions by the ref. On another day we would have won that game by 2 or 3 goals.

Just one of those days. Loads of positives aswell as a lot to learn still, huge game next week. Keen to have a little more luck!

Final Score: Faringdon Town 1-1 Brimscombe and Thrupp Res

Man of the match: Liam Humphries – covered superbly and showed all his experience. Motivated us and kept us going.