A-Team Match Report – 29/10/16

Cumnor Minors 3 v 3 Faringdon A-Team –

The A-Team were looking to build on last week’s 3 – 2 victory away at local rivals Uffington traveling to Oxford Brooks, Botley to play third bottom Cumnor Minors.

With six changes the A-Team looked very different this week. We talked about starting much brighter than last week where we found ourselves 2 down after 15mins. The boys came flying out of the blocks and took the game to Cumnor. 16 year old debutee Josh Tracey playing at right back sent Leon Redwood-Hanson away down the right flank a pacey run was finished with a fine cross field pass to Jason Evans who was also at pace (well as fast as he can go) he connected with his weaker left foot firing across the keeper into the corner to put the Don 1 up. This was soon cancelled as the Cumnor forward latched onto a long ball over the top of a flat-footed defence finishing past the advancing Frankie in the Town goal.

The rest of the half was all Faringdon and we should have been at least 3-1 up by half time. Jason took a free kick from 20 yards curling it towards the top corner a fine save by the keeper saw the ball fall at the feet of Lee Jenkins a yard out at the far post but he screwed his shoot wide. 16 year old Kamal Bazi replaced the tiring Lee and the A-Team continued to create chances. Liam Farmer hit a good chance wide after another pacey run from the right by Leon put him in. He also hit one just over from 20 yard just before the break.

The second half started well but neither team created anything, Dan Pugh continued to cover acres snuffing out any danger. Iain Lawson was winning his fair share of tackles and Frankie looked comfortable between the sticks. During the game the ref had missed several obvious hand balls from both sides, but on 65min he did the Don a favour gifting us a penalty when the Cumnor defender missed his header and the ball brushed his arm on the way down. Jason stepped up a slammed the spot kick in the bottom corner to put the Don 2-1. Frankie then came to the rescue with a great tip over from a rasping shot.

Cumnor kept pushing but the defence stood firm. Shout of no foul, no foul, came seconds before Nick Boyd took out the Cumnor forward at the knee caps and was rightly booked, the resulting free kick was well defended. Nick and Kamal were linking well down the right with Kamal growing in confidence. A long through ball saw the Cumnor keeper and his defender collide just inside the box and the ball broke loose to Leon who scored the goal of the game with an expertly executed a robona from 18yds lofting the ball over the prostrate Cumnor players and into the unguarded net.

Central midfielder Nick Wojcik had been making everything tick but has the game came to an end he could do nothing to help the tiring legs of the whole side. We got deeper and deeper and Cumnor piled on the pressure. Lee came on for Liam who had cramped up and it was only going to a matter of time before the Don conceded and two goals in the last ten minutes denied the Don all three points.

To be fair a 3-3 score line was probably correct. The whole team showed great commitment and should be pleased with an away point. Good team work from all the boys including assistant manager Louis Wojcik

MOTM Leon Redwood-Hanson for his no stop running and his superb goal.